This delicious fusion cream cheese and pumpkin cheesecake baked in a tasty ginger cookie crumb crust is a reader submitted original recipe offered by Jasleen Kaur.
Her tender cheesecake is baked in an easy release springform pan (compare prices) because using a regular cake pan, or pie tin, can be "messy and difficult to get the slices out. Cheesecakes really do best with a cheesecake pan."
Grace your Thanksgiving holiday blending a taste of the East with flavors of the West. Pumpkin and cream cheese fusion bibek cheese cake is a sublime seasonal dessert to serve sangat when prepared in accordance with the principles of conscious cooking following langar guidelines. While cooking in her kitchen, Jasleen Kaur listens to her favorite kirtan as it keeps her focused on Waheguru and "does a double duty of keeping the baby occupied".
Plan a day or two ahead, and read the entire recipe through before you start. For the crust, make cookies from scratch, or use a packaged variety for a short cut. After baking, the cheese cake needs to cool and set in the refrigerator over night.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Chill (overnight): 8 hours
Total Time: 9 hours, 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- Ginger Cookie (Egg-free)
- 1 cup unbleached raw cane sugar
- 1 cup butter, or Smart Balance margarine
- 1 cup un-sulfured molasses
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger powder
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe by Jasleen Kaur
- 1 cup crushed [egg-less] ginger cookies
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree [canned or home-cooked]
- 1 teaspoon alcohol free vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 TBS cornstarch mixed with 6 TBS water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream sugar and butter, or margarine, together in a bowl until well blended, add molasses, and stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl measure 4 cups all purpose flour. Remove and reserve ¼ cup of the flour. Add spices and combine with flour in bowl.
- Slowly mix spiced flour into sweetened creamed butter. Gather dough with fingers and knead in remaining flour to make stiff workable dough. If necessary, chill dough for 30-40 minutes until firm.
- Dust surface with flour and roll cookie dough to about 3/16 inch thick. Use cookie cutters or a glass to cut 2 inch rounds. Place on cookie sheets lightly greased with butter, or margarine.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 8 - 12 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes. Makes about 2 dozen.
Pumpkin Cheesecake by Jasleen Kaur
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cookie crumbs, butter and brown sugar and press onto the bottom and halfway up the sides of an 8" spring-form pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Gradually add brown sugar, the pumpkin, the vanilla, and the spices.
- Add cornstarch mixture, and beat well.
- Add the salt, beating until creamy, then pour the mixture evenly into the prepared crust.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until top is browned but cheesecake is still slightly jiggly.
- Transfer cheesecake to a wire rack and cool 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan sides to loosen cheesecake.
- Cool completely, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Cheesecake baking is an art worth attaining to. With these handy tips from About.com Food Guides to help you get started, you can become an expert in no time.
- What Is a Springform Pan?
- Tips for Making the Perfect Cheesecake
- How to Prepare Home Cooked Pumpkin Puree
(Sikhism.About.com is part of the About Group. For reprint requests be sure to mention if you are a non-profit organization or school.)