Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 cups Besan (chick pea flour)
- 1 - 1½ cups Yogurt
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric (haldi)
- ½ tsp Cayenne (red pepper)
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- 1.2 tsp ground Coriander
- 2 Jalapeño Green Chile (Mirche) peppers minced
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 bunch Spinach (palak) chopped
- 1 Potato (aloo) quartered lengthwise thinly sliced
- 1 head Cauliflower florets (gobi)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
During pakora preparation keep the mind focused on the divine:
- Recite "Waheguru"
- Recite passages from scripture.
- Listen to Gurbani kirtan recordings.
Add salt and spices to besan flour and stir. Add yogurt half a cup at a time and mix thoroughly to make a thick sticky batter.
Dip prepared vegetables in besan (chickpea) batter to coat. Carefully drop from spoon and deep fry in heated oil until crispy and golden.
Remove from oil and drain. Eat while fresh and crispy. Serve plain, with ketchup, chutney, or other condiment.
Hint: To make ahead - Deep fry halfway, just until batter begins to form a crust and color changes. Cool and freeze. To reheat - Let thaw, microwave to thaw, or simply remove from freezer and deep fry in heated oil until crispy and golden.