Anand Karaj, the Sikh marriage ceremony, emphasizes the spiritual nature of physical union. Sikh wedding hymns describe the wedded state of the soul bride with the divine groom. Marital bliss and family harmony is exemplified by the Sikh gurus, who entered matrimony and fathered children.
Sikh matrimonial customs, dos and don'ts, outlined in Sikh Reht Maryada (SRM), the code of conduct, include wedding ceremony rites, love and romance, arranged marriage, child brides, dowry, widow remarriage and ritual taboos.
Matrimonial quizzes test your understanding of wedding protocol and the concept of marriage in Sikhism.
Sikh Marriage and Wedding Ceremony Customs
The Anand Karaj sikh wedding ceremony takes place in the presence of Guru Granth Sahib, Sikhism's holy scripture, with bride groom, family members, and wedding guests present in the gurdwara or suitable wedding hall.
Marriage in Sikhism is a spiritual affair. The Sikh wedding hymns describe the longing and fulfillment of the soul bride as she merges in divine union with her beloved groom:
- "Shabad Ratee Sohaaganee" - "Hymn of The Happy Soul Bride"
- "Keeta Loree-ai Kaam" - "Tell Your Wishes to the Lord"
- "Dhan Pir Eh Na Akhee-an" - They Are Not Husband and Wife Because They Sit Together"
- "Pallai Taiddai Lagee" - "I Grasp Your Hem"
Hymns of "Laav" the four rounds of the wedding ceremony:
- "Har Peh-larr-ee Laav" - "Rounds of the Marriage Ceremony"
Love, Romance, Relationships and Marriage in Sikhism
Sikhism marriages are often arranged. Regardless of the body's gender, its soul is considered to have the feminine aspect of soul bride which corresponds with the male aspect of divine groom. Only within the sanction of marriage does the spiritual bond manifest in physical union of bride and groom. All other relationships are that of soul sisters.
The Soul Bride and Spiritual Love in Sikhism:
- Prem Dhey Theer, the Arrows of Spiritual Love in Sikhism
- Prem Dhey Theer, The Soul Bride's Spiritual Valentine
- Send Prem Dhey Theer, Spiritual Arrows of Love
Love, Romance and Marriage in Sikhism:
Sikh Matrimonial Dos and Don'ts
Sikh Matrimonial Quizzes
Quizzes are a fun and enlightening way to increase your knowledge. Take these Sikh matrimonial quizzes to challenge your understanding of Sikh wedding customs.
- Quiz: Relationships?
- Quiz: Wedding Ardas?
- Quiz: Child Marriages?
- Quiz: Plural Marriages?
- Quiz: Bride Price or Dowry?
- Quiz: Remarriage For Widows?
- Quiz: How Many Marriage Rounds?
- Quiz: Where is a Sikh Wedding Held?
- Quiz: When is a Sikh Couple Officially Wed?
- T or F: Sikhism Marriage is Between Man and Woman?