Purab is an anniversary commemorating either birth or death as a holiday festival.
Gurpurab is a holiday commemorating either the birthday, inauguration, death or the martyrdom of one of the ten gurus of Sikhism. A gurpurab is observed with festivities which involve a worship service:
- An akhand paath, a 48 hour continuous reading of the Sikh scripture Guru Granth.
- Singing hymns during an early morning worship service.
- Singing hymns during a daytime or evening worship service.
- A parade of the scripture, Guru Granth, accompanied by a procession of worshipers singing hymns.
- Singing hymns in an all night worship service.
- All of the above, including fireworks displays over a three day period.