Portable Altar Assembled with Cushion
Place the cushion on the platform section of the assembled portable altar. The cushion shown is made from 1 inch thick foam. All instructions and fabric required is based only on 1" foam.
To make a 24" x 36" x 1" cushion:
- Cut a piece of foam to the size of the altar platform and notch the corners to fit around the spindles.
Materials needed for cushion cover:
- Two yards + 4 inches of fabric.
- Matching thread.
To make a 1" foam cushion cover:
- Cut a piece of fabric 25" x 76" from the center of the yardage (see ruffle *tip below).
- Fold fabric in half, wrong side out and pin.
- Using matching thread, sew edges together with 1/2 inch seam allowance leaving one end open.
- Turn right side out and pull over the foam like a pillowcase. Fold in the raw edges pin and stitch closed.
- Follow the directions above adding 2-4 inches to the length of fabric. Hem the open end.
- Alternately sew a strip of fabric to the right side of the raw edge of the opening. Fold over and blind hem to create a band of trim.
- Pull over the foam and tuck.
- Remove to clean.
*Ruffle Tip: Fold fabric in half lengthwise and trim 10" of the doubled fabric from the outer edge and set aside to be used in making a ruffle for the canopy. Use the center piece for the cushion cover. Now you are ready for the next step.